Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Bitcoin Has a Lot Higher to Go

Well, there's two theories on money. One is that money is whatever the government says it is, which is a legal fiction, and of course you could be the argument that it's salt, or it's cow hides or it's sheep or it's whatever. Well, certainly that's been tried throughout history, but the argument is either it is a legal fiction or it's specie: it's something of value that has value in and of itself and I would argue silver actually has more value than gold, because you can use silver for medicinal purposes, you can use it for electronics, you can use it as money or barter, and it fulfills actually more services to whoever owns it than gold does. But regardless of my thoughts on the two metals, gold and silver from time in memorial all of recorded history have been chosen by the free market as money of substance. And this is where you can't get around the argument, I mean, a lot of people have been brainwashed into believing that gold and silver have no purpose today, they really aren't money, and on and on it goes. So, the idea that you can create something out of nothing and it has value has been tested time and time again, and again they always fail.

On the cryptocurrencies, I'm not against them first of all, in fact I just gave a lecture about them. I talked about gold, silver and the blockchain, of course I mentioned Bitcoin primarily because it's the leader, bitcoin is unusual, I mean let me again back up slightly Mike.

First of all, to be intellectually honest, would a cured fiat system work in theory, and the answer is probably yes, to be intellectually honest. If and only if you had a limited supply of dollars and they only grew as the economy grew, you would have in theory, a pretty good paper system.

However, that has never been the case, even when the gold-standard-basher's bash gold, they've said well, the gold standard has never worked. Well, yes and no. The gold standard would work because what gold's purpose is, is to keep that money supply growing basically at 2% a year, which is probably what a lot of the people on the left side would like, which is sustainable growth. And in a real, true economic system that is backed by physical reality rather than a make believe set of derivatives that is unimaginable at this time, you have an economic system where each dollar over time becomes more and more valuable. But that is not where we're at. So, we’re in a situation where there is a challenge to the system, and the main challenge really isn't coming from the precious metals, the main challenge is coming from the cryptocurrencies.

Bitcoin is obviously the leader, I look at it Mike, right now with 750 different cryptocurrencies out there, being similar to what happened in the tech wreck, where a lot of these domain names were getting huge valuations for a very short time and a lot of people were piling in. And yet today we still have Yahoo.com, Amazon is a big leader, there are certainly companies out there that were the real deal, stood the test of time, and a lot of these dogs and cats went away very rapidly. I think the same thing will take place in the cryptocurrencies. I do think that some of them are here to stay, I think Ethereum is really not a coin, I think it's a platform. I think few people really understand it's potential. I think it's one I'm favorable to. Bitcoin, it's hard to argue against, I mean, the markets certainly voting very strong for that one. Dash is an interesting one, I certainly don't know them all, I don't claim to be an expert.

But one place I really do have some concerns is security. And I gave that main concern at this lecture I did in Vancouver recently, and of course I got some blow back on it and people were telling me, you can take your account and write it down on a piece of paper and hide it under your desk and that type of thing, I get that, I understand that. But there's already been security issues with Bitcoin and a lot of people won't do that. I mean, just because you have the potential to make it more secure doesn't necessarily mean that most people will. So there is some vulnerabilities out there and this is not me speaking, these are someones at a recent tech conference, and these were high level people that were talking about the internet of things and how vulnerable all this internet of things model is with this, what's called big data, that is taking place before us right now, has security issues. And they do, so that's something to bear in mind.

Now, as far as, how much to put into Bitcoin or whatever, certainly I'm free market, you decide for yourself, but I think Bitcoin's got a long ways to go and I say that based on technical work. I mean, I looked at the chart before I did my presentation because I work pretty hard on these presentations as you know, and the volume was tremendously large in Bitcoin over the last couple months, which means it's got a lot higher to go, there's no question about it. And momentum feeds on momentum, especially when you're making new highs, there is nothing more bullish to the market than a new high because everyone that owns it wants to hold it, because they don't know how high is high, so there is very little that sells back. There will be some profit taking, but not much, because everyone is concerned with, “wow, I made this much percentage today, I wonder how much I'll make tomorrow.” So, there's not much selling pressure. And it will continue to go up. Very interesting market, from a couple places, the main one I would emphasize, which is a probably a different view point from many, is it is a competing currency to the present system and obviously it's taking off rapidly.

- Source, David Morgan